Butternut Squash And Ginger Soup
Butternut squash has a great flavour after being roasted and makes a fantastic soup. There are a list of ingredients in this recipe for the soup so carefully building the soup is needed. There are a number of cooking techniques including:
- Knife Skills – [Peeling and Dicing The Butternut Squash]
- Cooking Methods – [Roasting The Butternut]
- Butternut Squash [Top Half]
- Spanish Onion x 1
- Carrot x 1
- Celery x 1.5 Sticks
- Red Pepper x 1 Side
- Bay Leaf x 2
- Ginger x 1 inch piece
- Garlic x 2 Cloves
- Rosemary x 1 Sprig
- Honey x 3 Tablespoon
- Vegetable Stock x 600ml
- Double Cream x 3 Tablespoon
- Salt And Pepper
Steps To Cooking The Butternut Squash Soup
- Firstly, cut the top half of the butternut squash off and peel the end. Hold the squash down firmly and cut into slices first and then into chunky dice.
- Place the diced butternut onto a tray with some oil and into an oven pre-heated to 180 degrees celsius. The butternut will take around 15 – 20 minutes to cook.
- Peel and cut the onion in half, prepare by roughly dicing
- Carrot cut into small rough dice
- Celery cut into a small dice
- Red pepper cut one side off a whole pepper, cut into strips and turn to rough dice
- Slice the garlic cloves
- Ginger peel and grate
- Pick the rosemary from the stalk. [This can be done by running your fingers down the stalk]
- Make up 600ml of vegetable stock. [Use a vegetable stock cube or make a fresh vegetable stock]
Cooking The Vegetables
- Firstly, get the butternut roasting in the oven
- In a heated pan add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for a couple of minutes. Stir occasionally and cook with no colour on the ingredients.
- Add the celery and red pepper and cook for a few minutes.
- Now add in the bay leaf, rosemary and the vegetable stock.
- Bring the soup to the boil and simmer, once the butternut has cooked at to the pan
- Boil for 10 minutes and in the honey
- Add in the cream and boil for a further 5 minutes.
Finishing The Butternut Squash And Ginger Soup
- Once all the vegetables are cooked around 10 – 15 minutes, take the pan off the heat
- Carefully blend or blitz the soup
- Check the salt and pepper for your personal taste.