Carrot and Ginger Soup
This carrot and ginger soup uses a range of cooking skills. Skills include: peeling, chopping, passing and pureeing. The ginger I have used is a ginger paste, however, fresh ginger is great to use too. Carrots are fantastic in soups and are one of the cheapest ingredients to use.
- Spanish Onion x 1
- Baking Potato x ½
- Garlic Cloves x 3
- Carrots x 400g
- Ginger Paste x 2 Tablespoons
- Sugar x ½ Tablespoon
- Vegetable Stock x 500ml
Method Of Preparing And Cooking A Carrot And Ginger Soup
- Peel the Spanish onion and cut it into a chunky dice
- Cut half of the baking potato into small cubes
- Peel the garlic cloves and slice
- Cut the carrots in half lengthways and cut the halves into half-moon slices
- Have the 500ml of vegetable stock ready. [Either fresh vegetable stock or a stock cube]
Cooking The Vegetables
- Heat the pan up on medium heat with a little oil and add the onions.
- Cook the onions for a few minutes stirring frequently so they do not catch in the pan.
- Add the garlic to the onions and cook for a few minutes
- Into the pot add the cubed potato and cook for a few minutes
- Add the carrots to the pan and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat
- The ginger paste and sugar can be stirred into the vegetables and the vegetable stock added
- Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes
- Check the vegetables for softness. Cook longer if needed and take off when the ingredients are soft.
Finishing The Soup
- Once all the vegetables are soft the soup can be carefully blended into a puree
- Pass the soup through a fine sieve to remove any stringy pieces or lumps
- Check for salt and pepper and adjust to your personal taste.